Senior Social Media Strategist
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
Reporting to the Director, Digital, the Senior Social Media Strategist (with support from the Digital Marketing Strategist and Senior Digital Campaign Strategist) is responsible for promoting the Brennan Center’s programmatic priorities, expanding our social reach, developing platform-specific content strategy, maintaining content calendars, diversifying online audiences, ideating new social-focused content streams, coordinating deployment of media assets, and day-to-day publishing and community management.
- Develop long-term vision, goals, strategies, and tactics for the Brennan Center’s social media presence
- Write clear and compelling social, email, video scripts, and digital ad copy that represent the values and voice of the Brennan Center
- Become an expert on our programmatic goals and provide counsel and trainings to Programs colleagues on social media and digital marketing strategy
- Create strategic digital media plans around upcoming campaigns, news and events; identify potential opportunities to engage with audiences online
- Build and maintain a consistent voice across all Brennan Center digital media channels
- Identify high impact digital marketing opportunities to increase brand visibility and engagement for Brennan Center’s programmatic, advocacy and fundraising efforts, and to generate email list and social followership growth.
- Coordinate with other digital channel owners to ensure consistent voice and cohesive messaging across channels
- Be a strategic partner by brainstorming ideas to support campaign, program, and development initiatives
- Develop and maintain a content calendar across all of Brennan Center’s social media channels
- Assess all Brennan Center content (policy publication, press hit, media statement, opinion, and analysis) and develop social media language and post strategy to maximize visibility and impact
- Develop content for coalition partners to use on their own channels
- Analyze and report on weekly and monthly metrics as well as campaign data to measure and improve the work of our organization in reaching and engaging target audiences
- Ensure all content adheres to Brennan Center policies and legal guidelines and considers DEI risks and opportunities
- Identify opportunities for live experiences on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, and support planning and production
- Monitor news and current events in our issue areas and work closely with Media, Editorial and Creative teams to develop and vet social content based on current opportunities
- Work with Senior Campaign Strategist on paid social media ad strategy to promote our editorial and campaign content
- Research and stay ahead of trends in social media, non-profit marketing, and advocacy
- Assist with weekend web and social media publishing as part of a rotating coverage schedule.
- Manage relationships and negotiate contracts with vendors
- 5 - 8 years relevant online production experience, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Experience mobilizing and engaging interest communities in a wide range of online activities
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple campaigns within multiple initiatives at once
- Experience planning, developing, and promoting social media content campaigns and audience targeting for issue-based, nonprofit, or political advocacy organizations; familiarity with a broad range of social media strategies
- Demonstrated ability to grow audience and engagement, both organic and paid
- Demonstrated ability to quickly generate compelling, error-free prose
- Experience managing social media advertising campaigns
- Excellent written, verbal, and project management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative team environment
- Ability to be flexible and pivot in a dynamic work environment
- Clear, proactive communication
- Passion for democracy, justice, and rule of law issues
- Sense of humor
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience producing, editing, and/or designing digital content (images, video clips, carousels, etc.)
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Salary: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience, set according to a published scale. A generous benefits package is provided as well.
Applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with the position to be filled as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/9XnjKthlTg/Senior-Social-Media-Strategist and upload the following application materials: cover letter; resume; and contact information for three references. If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “Senior Social Media Strategist” in the subject line, after registering in the online system.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.