Senior Media Strategist
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Brennan Center seeks a dynamic and experienced senior media strategist to work in-person with our Media & Strategy team in the Communications & Strategy Department at the organization’s New York City headquarters.
One of the Brennan Center’s primary goals is driving the national conversation around issues of democracy and justice. The senior media strategist will partner with the organization’s experts, attorneys, and researchers to design and implement comprehensive press plans for the Center’s reports, litigation, legislative efforts, and other projects. The role requires a keen understanding of the news cycle and what drives press coverage, top-notch writing and editing skills, proven ability to respond quickly to breaking news, experience shaping public debate through media placements, and experience working with the country’s most influential journalists, editors, and producers.
As a senior member of the Brennan Center’s media relations team, the senior media strategist will report to the national media director and collaborate with program staff at the earliest stages of project conception, developing and executing robust and ambitious media plans targeted at the national and regional audiences most important to the success of the project.
The senior media strategist is expected to develop and maintain mastery of the issues assigned to them. For each issue, that includes knowledge of Brennan Center publications, research, and positions; trends in news coverage; best practices for messaging; and debates among advocates and in academia.
When news breaks that relates to Brennan Center work, the senior media strategist will ensure that the press knows as quickly as possible what our experts and research can offer. The senior media strategist will balance multiple projects, tight deadlines, and changing priorities, all with the goal of helping the Brennan Center shape public opinion and build momentum for our work.
Specific duties will include:
- Developing and executing media relations strategies for a broad range of projects: reports, legislation, advocacy campaigns, litigation, and more
- Identifying ideas and materials to pitch to the media; assess news value of publications in progress
- Monitoring news media for opportunities to publicize Brennan Center experts, policy proposals, and research; developing and executing press strategies for such opportunities quickly and in coordination with experts and other communications staff
- Drafting press releases, advisories, and pitches
- Conceiving, writing, editing, and pitching op-eds
- Writing talking points for Brennan Center experts, clients, and colleague organizations
- Conducting media trainings for staff, as formal workshops and informal feedback
- Representing the Brennan Center's communications interests in coalitions with other organizations and in litigation filed with co-counsel, leading multi-partner media work when appropriate
- Collaborating effectively with the editorial, digital, and design teams to make the most of earned media attention
- Identifying new outlets for Brennan Center work
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, bookers, producers, podcast hosts, columnists, op-ed page editors, and editorial board members
- Responding quickly and accurately when news breaks (and occasionally putting in night and weekend hours)
- Identifying trends and holes in Brennan Center media coverage using analytics program; developing strategies to improve based on findings
- Maintaining up-to-the-minute records of media hits and share as needed within the communications department and with the rest of the Brennan Center staff
- Serving as head of the media team when the media director is out of the office
- Managing interns
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in media relations at a nonprofit or in government required
- Experience in journalism, publishing, or other communications work outside of media relations a plus
- Excellent writing and editing skills (don’t hesitate to send links to op-eds that you’ve drafted)
- Ability to work constructively and professionally across multiple issue areas and under deadline pressure
- A deep network of journalist contacts (print/online, broadcast, podcast)
- Success in developing and executing media strategies for campaigns or projects that were high priority for the organization/company
- Experience in spotting publicity opportunities in breaking news and generating placements as a result
- Experience managing communications efforts that have multiple stakeholders inside and/or outside the organization/company
- Experience using social media to network with journalists and producers and land stories a plus
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as qualified candidates are identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/OksxNvXOTN/Senior-Media-Strategist. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. In addition, please provide URLs to a total of three op-eds or news stories that you placed or reported, with a brief explanation of your role in its placement or production. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Media Strategist” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Applying through our website is strongly preferred.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.