The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
Reporting to the Organizational Development Manager, we seek an experienced recruiter to join our Human Resources team in-person at our New York office. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to take more ownership of the recruitment function along with implementing new initiatives and enhancing processes.
- Manage multiple full life-cycle recruitment processes for all staff (attorneys, assistants, associates, etc.) which includes posting jobs, reviewing resumes and application materials, phone screening, scheduling interviews, conducting interviews, checking references, and making offers.
- Oversee temporary staffing needs of hiring managers, including coordinating with temp agency, hiring managers, and/or other internal staff to identify a temp and onboard them.
- Utilize applicant tracking system to manage applicants including dispositioning and sending notifications to applicants; identify ways to better leverage the system.
- Coordinate legal internship recruiting events and ensure internships and term-limited positions are posted according to schedule.
- Use data, analysis, and metrics to assess our ability to attract candidates and diversity throughout the recruitment process.
- Develop and implement recruitment outreach and pipeline building strategies to ensure a diverse and highly qualified applicant pool (i.e., sourcing active and passive candidates, building a recruitment pipeline by maintaining list of prospects, identifying recruiting opportunities/events, tracking participation in events, and developing recruiting events).
- Manage and/or implement diversity, equity, and inclusion recruitment efforts along with identifying other innovative recruitment initiatives.
- Cultivate effective working relationships with hiring managers and external partners to fulfill recruitment needs and implement recruitment initiatives.
- Ensure recruiting resources and contacts are kept up to date.
- Manage Brennan Center Jobs inbox.
- Minimum 3 yrs. experience successfully recruiting for jobs that receive hundreds of applicants and/or for organizations with high volume recruitment.
- Experience using an Applicant Tracking System.
- Must possess good judgment and emotional intelligence to discern potential fit for positions and adapt to stakeholders’ and customers’ needs.
- Experience working in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
- Attention to detail and organization skills are a must along with the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Experience designing, implementing, and/or executing new recruitment processes and/or systems.
- Enthusiasm for recruitment, cultivating relationships and identifying talent to help fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to receive and implement constructive feedback.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet operating needs.
- Must be able to meet deadlines while being proactive and self-motivated in accomplishing tasks, big and small.
- Ability to organize/prioritize work while handling multiple projects and shifting responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Experience identifying effective recruitment strategies for challenging positions.
- Experience recruiting in a law firm or legal organization along with recruiting for attorneys strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing best practices around diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring and recruitment.
- Experience reviewing writing samples for jobs where writing is a significant component of the work, which can also include graduate school admissions experience reviewing and evaluating applications and personal statements.
- Previous experience as an administrator of an applicant tracking system.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/XKEeZJFjh8/Senior-Recruiter and upload the following application materials (preferably in pdf format): copy and paste a cover letter, upload a resume, and upload contact information for three references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Recruiter" in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure your application is reviewed.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.