- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Entry Level
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
We seek an energetic, motivated, and well-organized Receptionist/Operations Coordinator to join our Finance & Operations Team. The Brennan Center maintains a busy office of approximately 140 staff and up to 40 interns. The Receptionist/Operations Assistant plays a vital role in ensuring smooth office operations.
The Receptionist/Operations Coordinator is a member of the Finance & Operations team, managed by the Manager of Administration and Special Projects, and working closely with the Office Manager.
- Answer phones and greeting guests, interacting with Center’s allies, donors, and interested members of the public.
- Supports projects managed by the Manager of Administration and the Office Manager.
- Manage supply inventory, purchasing, and distribution.
- Assist in the upkeep of the office, including the coordination of repairs and special maintenance items, (i.e., HVAC maintenance, cleaning staff, other vendors) when necessary.
- Liaise with building management and security to address office needs.
- Support training and onboarding processes.
- Train and oversee interns in performing office administration and receptionist responsibilities.
- Support office morale events and activities (i.e., holiday party, summer picnic, etc.)
- A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent mix of education and pertinent experience.
- 1-2 years of experience working in an office environment.
- Excellent phone etiquette.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail and an ability to multi-task.
- An openness to evolving responsibilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 and Outlook and familiarity with business machines and technology.
- Ability and willingness to lift heavy boxes and office equipment, as needed.
- An interest in the work of the Brennan Center.
- Sense of humor.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage interested applicants to apply early, as the position will be filled once a qualified candidate is found.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits package.
To Apply: Please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/oQYr6erMpe/Operations-Coordinator and upload as one document (preferably as a pdf) where its says "Attach resume" the following application materials: cover letter, resume, and a list of contact details for three references. No phone calls, please. If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “Operations Coordinator” in the subject line, after registering in the online system.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.